Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Mike Singletary Fired



Mike Singletary was fired by the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday night after two disappointing seasons. The team dismissed Mike Singletary after his team lost 25-17 in St. Louis and was eliminated from contention for the NFC West title.

Team president Jed York, who promoted Mike Singletary to head coach after Mike Nolan was dismissed in 2008, fired Singletary.

The team made the announcement late Sunday upon returning to the Bay Area, several hours after San Francisco was eliminated from playoff contention with a 25-17 loss at St. Louis. Defensive line coach Jim Tomsula was promoted to interim coach and will run the team in next Sunday's season finale at home against Arizona. He was to be formally introduced in a news conference Monday.

Mike Singletary


"I want to thank Mike Singletary for the passion and effort that he brought to this organization," Jed York said in a statement. "He is a tremendous person for whom I will always have great respect."

The 49ers began 0-5 and will finish with a losing record for the seventh time in eight years. They went 8-8 in Singletary's first full season, then produced an unbeaten preseason this year only to drop their first five games.

It was the franchise's worst start since losing seven in a row to begin a 2-14 season in 1979 – in the late Hall of Famer Bill Walsh's first year as coach.

York said that defensive line coach Jim Tomsula would serve as interim coach for the 49ers' Week 17 game against the Arizona Cardinals.

"One of the greatest experiences of my life was having the opportunity to coach the San Francisco 49ers. What made it so special were the players. They were some of the most outstanding men I have ever been around in my life. The coaches were truly professionals. I wish the 49ers nothing but the best. I am thankful to the York family for having given me the opportunity to be a head coach in the NFL. I am indebted to them for that. I am also thankful for the Faithful fans, I am just sorry I couldn't give them more,"   Mike Singletary said.

No comments:

Post a Comment